The Day Justin Trapp Made Me Realize What Is Killing Me Slowly.
Justin Trapp just talked about getting stuck in the classic entrepreneurial trap of trying to do too much yourself.
Do you find yourself doing things yourself when you know you really shouldn’t be doing them?
But, there’s a really good practical reason, right?
Justin wisely noted: Speed is the enemy of delegation. [CLICK TO TWEET]
Oh! How often I ended up keeping a task for me to do myself instead of assigning it to a team member!
And if I’m truthful with myself about it, it’s all because of my own fear that it will take more time to go back and forth to get it done right or the way I envisioned it VERSUS just doing it myself once and getting what I want. Can you empathize?
At a Seth Godin event I attended in NYC a couple of years ago, there was one thing that he said which totally resonated with me on this same exact topic. This is what Seth taught me: Entrepreneurship is simply the process of letting go.
Basically, if you want to scale a business, you need to trust and release more and more and more.
Gary Vaynerchuk recently said something on his #AskGaryVee Show a little like this: People can’t let go because they care too much. They can’t recognize that most things are just not that important. Delegation is about ego.
One of the life truths I have come to know from the years of experience out on my own is:
Lack of self-awareness by the entrepreneur will bring the house down in flames. [CLICK TO TWEET] ~ @kennyjahng
Here’s a list of 10 things that I am realizing I need to let go, but it’s been oh so hard to do so right up till today:
- The tactical act of publishing blog posts like this – formatting, uploading, setting-up the click-to-tweet links, etc.
- Designing graphics / selecting photos for posts.
- Scheduling / publishing anything on social media.
- Video editing.
- Time / profitability tracking for all projects.
- Setting up websites / blogs.
- Booking travel.
- Booking meeting with people (I use some automation at this point).
- Progress / status reports.
- WHAT AM I DENYING MYSELF THAT I SHOULD ADD TO THIS LIST?